History of BY High
From 1911 to 1920
Link to previous historical period.
The high school class of 1912 built the stone and iron gate on the south west corner of the campus. Many of the sidewalks surrounding the campus remain as memorials to these various
high school classes.
Besides the Education Building, which was called the High School Building until 1922, the high school has used three other buildings, the Arts Building, the Mens Gym, and the Industrial Arts Building. The Mens Gym had it beginnings in an article which appeared in the school newspaper in 1899 written by Eugene L. Roberts. This article pointed to the need of a gymnasium. Adequate funds, however, were not available to construct a separate gymnasium. But when the Training School Buildng was approved, a third floor was added to the original plans and was devoted to a gymnasium. The building was completed in 1902 hrough the financial assistance of Jesse Knight.
The Arts Building was constructed to serve as a missionary training school. Alpine, Nebo, Utah and Wasatch stakes contributed funds for the building. Emma Lucy Gates sang a series of concerts to raise money to equip the third floor for home economics. It was named the Lucy B. Young Domestic Department. The building was completed in 1904 and dedicated in 1908.
Theconstruction for the Industrial Arts Building began in 1904. It was the philosophy of Brigham Young that boys should learn to do something with their hands as well as their minds, and this building was in partial fulfilment of that philosophy. The building was constructed in order to provide courses in iron work and mechanics. The fist black smithing class was approved
in 1904 and go underway in January 1905., when citizens from the city of Provo donated ten forges.
Source: Wildcat ´68, page 20,21.
